Korean Dip

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Jan 30 17:41:40 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/30/2008 3:41:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
paulrevenkojones at aol.com writes:

Aftertouch, as a component and resultant of regulation, becomes so apparent!

I've always thought that the various effects of aftertouch were underrated.
When I was first learning, it was presented as a "safety factor" in case of
compaction of the knuckles, etc., so the action would still have escapement.
However, other things happen. For instance, if we increase the aftertouch - and
let's take the simplest case of removing a punching at the front rail - the
repetition travels farther, pushing the hammer into the string after letoff. To
correct it, we lower the drop screw. However, that means it's on the drop screw
longer before letoff occurs, it compresses the spring more, and tends to have
more resistance and a spongier feel. Conversely, shortening aftertouch makes
the contact with the drop screw later in the sequence, and speeds up the
repetition.

I also haven't seen mention of its effect on checking. If the checking is as
high as possible without the hammer tail dragging on the check on the way up,
then we allow the key to go down farther, the backcheck moves farther,
catching the hammer higher, which is also good for repetition. As everything in the
piano, a tradeoff.

I don't have a fixed distance for aftertouch - it's dependent upon how the
action feels. Over the last two days, I have regulated a new Kawai RX-3 and a
new Mason & Hamlin A. For a variety of reasons, the Kawai would accept more
aftertouch than the M&H without balking, although it wasn't necessary. The jack
drag in the M&H was great enough that the minimum seemed the only choice.

On a performance instrument, I usually start without very much aftertouch,
maybe .025-.030. Some pianists feel insecure without the resistance at the
bottom, and for them, it's usually enough to put the hammer line up 2-3 mm and run
the drop back up, which doesn't take long, and they don't usually notice the
loss of power. There's usually not time in a concert situation to change the
dip.

Anyway, there's more going on than "safety factor."

Bob D