Recycled Pianos

MICHAEL TOCQUIGNY miketoc440 at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:34:22 MST 2008

Fellow Technicians,

A receint post mentioned transfering a piano to the landfill.  Does this bother anyone else but me?   (Actually, I don't like taking most things to the landfill, but that's another rant.  On most issues, I'm to the right of Ayn Rand, but on environmental things I'm almost a liberal!).   Over the last few years I've picked up and disassembled about 15 old uprights, mainly to keep them out of landfills.  Business wise this doesn't make sense, but it's my contribution to recycling, or so I tell myself.   I sell the plates and other metal for scrap, get lots of firewood for the shop stove, and sometimes find maple back posts!   Preserving that beautiful, seasoned maple gives me a kick.   I don't rightly have time for this, yet I can't just let it go.      Any better ideas for recycling?

Mike Tocquigny