[pianotech] Beat Speed of 5th Decrease in Treble?

Jeff Deutschle oaronshoulder at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:31:13 PST 2008

Don:

I have to assume that the cents of stretch you mention are referenced to
theoretical pitches. If so, then if it takes 7 cents of stretch to make a
particular octave type beatless, that would not necessarily mean that the
beat rate of a 5th within the octave would be wide. Also, in your example, I
think the A5 to D6 4ths would be 4 cents wide of theoretical pure, (a 4th is
2 cents wide to begin with) but may have a more normal beat speed.