[pianotech] Replacing Keyboard Felt

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Nov 6 16:46:08 PST 2008

Yes, and, if you need to adjust the back rail height it is much easier if the rear edge is not glued down.  It's not always exactly right..........       ;-]

William R. Monroe

  Older Steinways are glued on both edges, newer ones are glued on the front edge only.  Key return appears to be quieter when the back rail cloth is glued only on the front (proximal) edge.  I only glue the front edge and do use the liner felt tacked also only at the front edge which seems to further quiet the ket return.

  David Love

  Mike Spalding wrote:
  I've not run into a Steinway where the backrail cloth was only glued
  along one edge.  I glue on both edges, I don't deliberately apply glue
  to the narrower red underfelt as it will be trapped on both sides by the
  glued cloth.  The closer you match the thickness of the old cloth, the
  less screwing around you'll have to do with damper lift and sostenuto
  regulation.  Yes, hot hide glue.