[pianotech] Thoughts on Bearing Angles

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Sun Nov 9 16:22:59 PST 2008

> Yes, if I were putting 23.5° net bearing on a piano bridge,
> this would certainly concern me. Since I'm usually putting on
> closer to 1° of bearing, and since the angle discrepancy from
> not taking the bridge top segment into account will likely be
> under 0.1°, and since I'm unlikely to be able to get within
> that range with the final product, or be able to accurately
> measure it if I did, I leave that hair unsplit.
>
> Ron N

Well thanks for at least being one of the only people to take the bait (and Gene too). My example was purposefully exaggerated to show a contrast in the angles, more than two decimal places, and do not represent an actual bearing measurement; Nevertheless, your point is taken.

I'm not looking to split hairs but I would like to work out my understanding of some basic geometry and update our model to represent the trapezoid that it really is. Granted this segment would indeed only represent a minute angle change so let me bring this thread back to a practical application.

When double checking resultant angles of a vertical hitch system against the design spec, how are the various rebuilders out there doing this? Is everyone using the Wixey gage to measure the front and rear angles at sample notes?

Oh and BTW, I haven't given up on my hunch that knowing the front and rear angles might tell us something more about the characteristic of a soundboard's impedance as opposed to just knowing the composite angle alone.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts
(978) 323-4545