[pianotech] Wood box for grand

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 19 19:24:16 PST 2008

I've built a few myself over the past years for my local concert halls. Basically  the idea is to make the box about 6" wider than the piano and about 1 ft or more higher than the piano.
Use 2x4 studs for your outline of the walls ( about 1 stud for every 2 ft). Also use the 2x4 studs to outline the top roof as well. Then cover with 1/2 -3/4" plywood.
On the inside long wall ( left and right side of piano )put 2 long runners and cover them with thick carpet remnants and attached them to the walls of the box. This will protect the piano from getting banged up when taking it out and putting it back.
I would strongly recommend getting the padded concert covers vs the canvas styled covers. The extra padding is just plain smart with all that the concert pianos are exposed to. For the few extra dollars, you'll gain a lot in added protection.
For the front of the box you can either devise a hinged door or do what we've done and simply hang a draped curtain as the door covering. This way you don't have to take up any extra space when opening the cage up.
Another good idea is to run some electrical outlets so that if you want to have some type of humidity control working while the piano lives in the cage and can simply plug when ready.
Keep the cage as simple as possible, and obviously make it good and sturdy. Chances are the stage hands will use the top of the box as an additional shelf for lighting fixtures and etc. Paint it flat black when finished.
Good luck.
Tom Servinsky