[pianotech] Dr Sanderson

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Fri Nov 21 06:09:50 PST 2008

My hat is off to Al with profound respect.

His passing brings back the memory of a story that Bill Garlick told
our class at North Bennet St. School in 1977.   Al observed Bill
tuning on stage for a Bob Dylan concert in Boston.  It was a noisy
and raucous scene and Bill nailed the tuning using third/tenth octave
tests in the treble and minor3rd/6th octaves in the bass.  Al was
blown away that someone could tune with such accuracy under those
circumstances and resolved then to learn how to tune using
traditional aural technique such as taught by Bill and outlined in
Braid White's little red book  - "the bible".  This led to the
success of his electronic approach.

I hope any of you who have All Sanderson stories to tell will take
the opportunity to share with this list..

Thanks Al,

David Stanwood