[pianotech] Fwd: Weickert hammer set pics

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Sat Nov 22 06:11:01 PST 2008

Hi Dale,

Great shots... I like the old style underfelt color just like the old
Steinways!

I notice you have some shots with sliced hammers showing how the felt
has tension and opens up at the crown when cut.  This tension gap is
the hallmark of the cold pressed hammer.. and the wider the gap the
better the felt.  It's an important test but it is only valid
immediately after the cut is made.  If the hammer sits around for a
few days, weeks,.... the cut opens up much more than when first cut -
so the judgement for tension has to be made immediately..  I like to
write down the gap in mm on the side of the hammer and bag it a
ziplock with a notation as to date, hammer type, etc...  It's
valuable info but only valid at the moment of cutting.  Showing off a
sliced hammer days, weeks, or months after it has been sliced doesn't
show the real tension.

David Stanwood