[pianotech] Downbearing

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Nov 22 21:21:55 PST 2008

> Not to speak for Jim, but...
>
>> Are you then assuming that the line that is effectively the "bottom of
>> the triangle" from the Agraffe/capo to hitch is perfectly horizontal?
>> To what reference do you zero the gauge?
>
> To the speaking length. What has level to the floor, or
> anything else, got to do with anything at all when you're
> measuring a net bearing angle between the speaking length and
> the back scale?????

Right, that was a lead.  I guess I was trying to provoke a response as to what particularly Jim was measuring - e.g. net bearing only, or was he trying to get something meaningful in terms of isolating front bearing and back bearing.  If so, referenced to what?

>>Do you assume the top of the
>> bridge cap is parallel to the "bottom of the triangle" as well?
>>
>> William R. Monroe
>
> Does it matter? And if so, why? In infinite detail, if you please.
> Ron N

Not for measuring net bearing.  But I guess I'd like an idea what the components are. The plane of the bridge cap, and where bearing goes front and back of that seems relevant.  Am I in left field?

William R. Monroe