[pianotech] Downbearing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Nov 23 04:10:53 PST 2008

> Not for measuring net bearing.  But I guess I'd like an idea what the
> components are. The plane of the bridge cap, and where bearing goes
> front and back of that seems relevant.  Am I in left field?
>
> William R. Monroe

Yes, it "seems" relevant, but I'm not so sure it's nearly the
practical concern we try to make of it. I try to have the
angles front and back roughly equal, but I haven't seen
anything through the years indicating that it's particularly
important for either tone or longevity. In the end, net
bearing determines soundboard loading.

Ron N