[pianotech] The Erwin Pinblock & multiuse glue up deck

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Nov 27 19:39:24 PST 2008

Hi Marco
The  blocks I make are constructed of hand pick & processed quarter sawn maple except the top which is a 6 mm layer of null to act as flagpole control.  Yamaha has done this for years. I think Forever
  The bottom is 6 mm of Maple.
  The first layer under the delignit orients the grain front to back. The next is end to end, The next layer front to back & of course the bottom piece end to end. It is similar to other quarter sawn maple blocks on the market of this type as far grain orientation except the top layer. The delignit is very hard & dense & keeps the pin from wandering forward over time and leaning against the plate flange as is seen in so many old Steinways & others. I think it also aids in smoothness of tuning.
   I drill these blocks at usually at .257 for a no. 2 --2 & 3/8 inch diamond brand pin & on occasion drill at .255 for a slightly tighter fit when the piano is going to extreme climate. For example Neveda...very dry. Another way to insure a tighter fit is to use a slightly longer pin. I suggest the 2 1/2 inch pin  when the plate flange is especially thick
 Of Course the layers can be altered slightly to get to the 38 mm dimension you describe or any dimension. The three middle layers are usually 8 to 9 mm.
  After using a dozen or more of these blocks the results are what I hoped for. A block that tunes as easily as Yamaha or an old un
touched original California preserved maple Steinway block. Like butter.
   I find a piano that has a difficult block is a piano that spends more of it life out of tune. The pins are more difficult to set & probably none of us enjoy tuning that type of instrument.
    We now offer this custom made pinblocks to the trade.
  Sincerely
  Dale Erwin

Hi Dale,

I like that very much…

Just a question …two really…

How many lamination for pinblock 38mm thick, and how thick each lamina?

The direction of the grain it’s strait or you give different orientation?

All the best my friend

Ciao

Marco De Lellis

Piano Workshop Inc.