the economy

Phil Manning phil at emvkeys.ca
Thu Oct 9 05:04:13 MDT 2008

I'm green as a technician. I'm just starting out, in fact, but I'm not
green in small business.

Here's a few personal observations...

1. When times are tough & money is tight, there's a tendency for small
business owners to cut back on their marketing budget. I don't think
this is wise. In fact I think this is the time to evaluate marketing
strategies for effectiveness, to make sure we maintain and even increase
our base during the hard times.

2. In my experience, price shoppers don't have much else to go on,
that's why we should take the opportunity to graciously educate them. A
little time spent in this area can turn a tire-kicker into a regular.
People who ask for price first don't always buy based on price. Often
they're unconsciously looking for someone to help them make a good
decision with their money. The price question is often just the
conversation starter.

3. I've observed that in tight times people very often adjust their
values. For instance, they're more likely to buy a piano rather than
upgrade a car, repair an older piano rather than purchase new, budget
for tuning & maintaining a piano rather than dinners & movies during the
same time period. I use piano examples to suggest how some technicians
might have been surprised by steady or increased business during
economic downturn.

please forgive me if it seems I've over-simplified the issue

Phil Manning