[pianotech] graphite and center pins?

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Wed Apr 1 21:37:31 PDT 2009

Jim,

The graphite, if present, was most likely put there to improve the performance at the factory.  It does not cause a sluggish center, nor does it stop sluggishness from happening.  The idea is to reduce the friction level while giving a firm, controlled fit in the bushing.

I am not fond of graphite in the bushing, because it actually increases the startup friction, even though it lowers the moving friction.  Teflon works better for action centers in this regard.

So repinning will still most likely eliminate the sluggishness, and a little graphite remaining should not present any problems.

Don Mannino