[pianotech] hour$ pinning

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Wed Apr 1 21:42:54 PDT 2009

>"David Ilvedson" wrote:
> Question for Don:  I was wondering if the broaches need the rough area
> roughed up over time and how one does that...or do you buy a new set...
> '-]

I have not found it necessary, and have used 1 set of Broaches in the past
for many sets.  But these were all clean bushings, unlubricated.

If you redo a set that has any lube in it (protec, whatever) the cutting
area will clog up and stop working.  You can clean it with Naphtha or
alcohol and it should be good again.

If you really need to rough it up, you can roll it on the workbench using
the side of a large heavy file.  Angle the file on the pin, not at 90
degrees but maybe 45 degrees, and alternate angles so that you get a general
rough area.

Don