[pianotech] Ethics and efficacy of part-time tuning

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Wed Apr 1 23:57:53 PDT 2009

Bruce et al,

Yes, I'm one of those beginners...  in THIS business.

Although, I'm unable to say whether the 10,000 hour rule does or does
not apply to this trade, I do know in my current day job, that this
number is probably inflated.  I've spent the last 28 years flying
airplanes, from the smallest C-152's and open cockpit biplanes to
Boeing 757's and 767's and just about everything in between. I must
say, that in the flying business, 2,000 to 3,000 hours is a blurry
line of demarcation between those that are still learning a lot, and
those that are learning just a little.  Even at my 16,000+ hours, I
still learn something new every time I go up. But for me, and the
hundreds I've trained, I'll call it about 2,500 hours. That is the
point where a majority of the pilots would be able to handle a
majority of the things that could happen to them.  I have seen
fantastic pilots at 1,000 hours, and I've also seen those with over
20,000 hours that send a shiver down my spine every time I think of
them.

All in all, for me, it's the person that makes all the difference.
Merely passing an arbitrary line of time or experience does not create
the master tuner or technician.  Granted, I know I'll be a better
tuner at 1,000 pianos.  But will I be competent and skilled enough at
800?  What about 500?  300? For me, I don't plan on doing things that
I don't feel I know well enough. I plan on giving the highest quality
product I can to my clients.  Initially, I plan on only doing
tunings.  As I progress, I'll start adding regulating and minor
repairs, voicing, etc.  Work that I feel is beyond me, I will
outsource to a competent professional.  But I know I won't ask how
many hours he's been doing it. I'll look at his references and talk
with him in person.  I can tell more about a person in 5 minutes of
face to face time than anything else. I can see his love and devotion
to his work in the sparkle of his eyes or the smirk on his face.

So for me, 10,000 hours is a data point that some researcher was able
to closely fit in to his myopic analysis.  And then he tried to apply
it to everyone and everything. People are different. People learn at
different paces. People are motivated by different things. And people
have different skill levels at different experience levels.  I don't
know anyone here very well at all (yet), but as an example, I'll bet
David A. was a pretty good tuner/technician pretty early on. My
opinion comes just from my limited exposure to his commentary, his
website, and seeing the quality of his workmanship, along with the
perceived pride he takes in his work. I could be wrong, but I'll bet
I'm not. I know there are many more just like him that are on this
mail list, as well.

Lastly, a snippet of wisdom that I've always held on to is this, --
Most people underestimate the amount of time it will take them to
complete a task and most people will undercharge what they are truly
worth --.  I won't overcharge, but I'm not going to devalue myself and
charge a pauper's wage, either.  Fair market for tuning a piano in my
area is fair market.  I'll let the customer decide if I was worth it.
I'll strive to earn their respect and their trust. I will strive to
learn as much as I can along the way.  I will strive to do my best
with each piano I have the pleasure of meeting!

"Experience" is unique to each individual.

Warm regards,

Rob McCall
Murrieta, CA

"Good judgment is what you gain from experience which is what you gain
from bad judgement." :-)