[pianotech] Surcharges

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Apr 2 03:55:23 PDT 2009

> One of my days off during the week is Tuesdays.  As of right now, I am
> scheduled three weeks out.  I had a client call me to schedule a
> tuning.  She has a son who is practicing for a recital, so she needs it
> done next week.  I will be tuning her piano next Tuesday.  How do you
> all handle surcharges in cases like this?  I remember a discussion on it
> a while back, but cannot find it in the archives.  Do you add an item on
> your bill that states this extra charge, or do you just put it in with
> your tuning cost?  What would be a reasonable amount?  Or is this whole
> idea just stupid and not "keeping the best interest of my customer"
>
> Thanks again!
>
> ***_TODD PIANO WORKS_*

If you really, really, really don't want to work on a specific day, all
you have to tell them is that it is already fully booked.  They don't
need to know that you have skiing, sunbathing, napping, shop work, golf
or a Mah Jong tournament on your docket.

If they still insist that they HAVE to have the work done THAT day,
_THEN_ is when you tell them that, in order to rearrange your schedule
you will need to charge an extra amount to cover the possibility of
losing those customers who would have to be "bumped". (They may take
umbrage at being considered less-than-equal)  You also need to do extra
calling to do this, so maybe call it a "booking fee". Let them know how
much it will be BEFORE you book them - customers hate surprises like that.

Either they will pay the extra or you will lose the customer. It's your
gamble to maintain your sacrosanct midweek open day.

Conrad,
-whose instrument preparation request forms for students and faculty
includes the following:
-Failure to plan ahead on your part does not constitute an emergency on
mine.