[pianotech] Civil war era piano

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Thu Apr 2 15:36:37 PDT 2009

Many years ago, I was on a tour of an antebellum home.  I believe it was near Natchez.  If I remember the story, the mansion was under construction when the war broke out.  The family was living in what would be the basement, while work continue on the floors above.  It was abandoned shortly after the war and was never used until it was cleaned up enough to be included on the tour of antebellum homes.  It was not pointed out by the tour hosts, but the most interesting observation for me was the piano in the living area, and the wooden crate in which it had been shipped, in the construction area.  The construction workers were dismantling the crate, using the lumber in the sub-flooring.  The construction work was interrupted so abruptly that they hadn't finished dismantling the crate., and there it sat for 120 years.

Frank Emerson