[pianotech] pre-Civil war era piano

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 20:02:01 PDT 2009

    I also have tuned an old (1857) Bluthner 7'6" grand. . .  for many years now.  Somebody restrung it and tuned it to A=440 before I started servicing it, so I didn't have the worries about breaking something.  Fortunately they didn't butcher anything, either.
      It was found in a basement in Vienna, shipped to an antique importer in San Francisco, then somewhere else, I believe, before ending up in Denver, where it's been for 30 years now, in the library of a mansion.
    It's straight-strung, with no cast-iron plate -- just 5 or 6 metal struts running straight back from the pinblock.
    I put new hammers on it when I was first starting out in business, and knew nothing about restoring antique instruments, and not much more about installing new hammers.  By luck, I purchased a set of hammers that wasn't too heavy.  I didn't know from touch weight or anything back then.  But they're still on there and it sounds nice.
    Miraculously, the late John Bloch of Denver Piano Rebuilders, whom some PTG old-timers may remember, had a handout on regulating the action, which I sorely needed, since it's not a modern Erard-type repetition action.
    So, just 'cause it's old doesn't mean it's not serviceable, but with your 1865 upright, yes, it probably needs "some work."
    --David Nereson, RPT