[pianotech] Surcharges

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 16:11:47 PDT 2009

>> Greetings,
>>      I think our lives are shaped more by our intentions than our actions.
>> What is the intention of a surcharge?  To discourage the last minute
>> caller?
>> To ameliorate the irritation of changing our schedule? To simply create
>> more
>> wealth out of the same amount of time, ( which is not always a bad thing)?
>>    The customer will usually get what the intention is, even if
>> unconsciously, and your career will ultimately be shaped by the cumulative
>> excercises if
>> judgement you describe above.  My instincts always tell me, correctly,
>> what to
>> do in situations like this. Regrettably, I don't always listen to them.
>>  My
>> advice is for you to trust yours.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Foote RPT
>>  <http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html>

Good post Ed. I think this is another case to turn off your "employee" head
and turn on your "business manager" head. As a manager you can create
policies for this kind of situation. If your booked three weeks out then it
is reasonable for the client to pay a rush fee to compensate you for the
overtime if they don't want to wait. We often exploit ourselves in ways that
violate basic worker rights. Time and a half for overtime is a commonly
recognized standard.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter