[pianotech] OT Soundboard Novice

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Thu Apr 2 21:11:48 PDT 2009

Hi Berley,

You have some very good questions.  I have two suggestions for you,
relating to gathering information to answer your questions and guide
you to doing a great job.

One is to go to Bill Spurlock's website (http://
www.spurlocktools.com/), and download his free PDF file describing his
router soundboard repair method.  It should be at:

http://www.spurlocktools.com/HTMLobj-430/sbrout.pdf

I would strongly suggest his router shimming method if the soundboard
has any cracks.  It is very precise, it removes more of the damaged
wood than hand shimming usually does (the failed shims I have seen
were all very thin, leading me to think that wood that had undergone
plastic deformation was left in place, dooming the glue joint), and it
is reasonably priced.

But more to the point of your questions, the free booklet gives you
plenty of advice about the "hows and whys" of drying out the old
board, regluing loose panels to the ribs, shim grain orientation,
shaping shims,  gluing shims, recrowning the board, trimming shims,
and refinishing the board, all written in Bill's clear, detailed, and
concise style.  You'll find it very useful even if you don't end up
using his router carriage and method, and it will answer some of your
questions probably better than I can.

The second suggestion is to get the PTG "Bridges and Soundboard
Repair" reprint kit of articles.  For some reason, it's not listed on
the PTG website at the moment (is it out of stock or being
updated???).  You'll also be better off to get the "Pinblocks and
Plates" and the "Stringing, Crown, and Downbearing" ones as well.
Heck, just get all nine!  They give a good overview of the skills and
procedures that you'll need, and from several different perspectives.
They will provide at least one or two sets of answers to all of your
questions in depth (there are many sets of differing answers to some
of your questions, which makes it fun!).  In fact, they will probably
answer plenty of questions you haven't thought of yet.  At least they
did for me.  All nine are still available on CD-ROM at:

https://www.ptg.org/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=46&osCsid=86effd48b87169cbb02fcb7360e5eeb7

If the printed ones are indeed available (you can call the home office
to check), I'd get them instead of the CD-ROM;  it's very convenient
to take them to the shop and refer to them while working.  I try to
keep sawdust, epoxy, and lacquer away from my computer (I fail, I must
admit...).

If you do your homework reading from those sources, that ought to give
you plenty to get started.  I am tempted to try to answer each of your
questions with a one-sentence answer, but they are thoughtful and
important questions, and they deserve more than that.  In fact, each
one-sentence answer I could give could probably be (and in several
cases already has been) hotly debated by fine rebuilders on this list
(and rightly so, as different people have different perspectives and
experiences), no matter which answer I would choose to give.  You'll
need much more than short answers in order to do an excellent job,
which I commend you for wanting to do.

Good luck with it,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh