[pianotech] OT Soundboard Novice

Berley Firmin II firmin1 at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 3 07:30:22 PDT 2009

Joe, Thanks for all the suggestions! I agree that I should do a lot more research and should not expect one-sentence answers. I have seen the router method in action. It was great, and I plan to use that method, if I preserve the original soundboard.
    As to whether I DO replace or restore the soundboard is another question: Should I even bother? This is a Nickelodeon that will most likely be hardly EVER played by hand; rather, the automatic roll will be the primary source of playing, and in it's very nature, it will be loud and raucous bar-room type of music, not concert room nor living room style.
    But, nevertheless, I am interested in doing a perfect restoration, regardless of the piano's use.
Berley Firmin