[pianotech] justify pitch raise

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:56:08 PDT 2009

I used to carry around a needle type guitar tuner for showing client's
pitch. This was a tip I got once from Isaac Sadigursky. However I haven't
bothered for many years. I don't recall ever having to justify raising
pitch. We explain to people on the phone that the SERVICING (notice not
tuning) will be X amount of dollars for a 2-hour appointment. This will
include raising the piano to standard pitch if necessary, and depending on
time may include some minor cleaning, regulating and/or voicing. We then
tell them if the piano has been well maintained it could be lower, but I
won't know until I see the piano.

An idea I got recently from L.A. Tech Carl Lieberman. When we quote our
prices over the phone we quote the maximum price first - since this is what
people are most likely to remember. Then they can be plesantly surprised if
the piano doesn't require as much time. We usually prepare people for the 2
hour appointment if they are a first time customer.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter