[pianotech] justify pitch raise

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Fri Apr 3 02:48:47 PDT 2009

I measure starting pitch every time before tuning (with TuneLab), and
document it on the invoice.  I measure all the A's, using either an
existing tuning file for a similar piano or the average.tun.  This not
only justifies the extra tuning pass, but helps set the right interval
for the next tuning, and often shows the need for a Piano Life Saver
System, too.

I also use the "total piano maintenance" strategy of booking two
hours, and doing everything I can to improve it in that time.  The
customer can see that if it takes an hour and 45 for a pitch raise
pass with TuneLab and an aural tuning, there's not much time left for
adjusting or cleaning.  Plus it makes my bookkeeping a lot easier.

I really didn't like having to sell an extra charge for a pitch raise,
because many smaller pianos really sound much worse at low pitch
(spinets, anyone?).  This way, they don't have the option.  One of the
reasons I started my own business was to set my own quality standards.

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
ABQ, NM
www.shusterpiano.com