[pianotech] justify pitch raise

perrys piano restorations perrymark at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 3 03:26:42 PDT 2009

Hello,

My name is Mark Perry, and I am an aural tuner and rebuilder.  to answer your question about justifying a pitch raise, it is interesting as I read the many responses.

first, if it is bad enough to need a pitch raise, I warn the customer there will be an additional charge.  I always ask over the phone when the last tuning was, and let them know before I drive out that it may need one.  As for some measuring technique, I think the one thing being an aural tuner gives me is the advantage of knowing how bad it sounds to my fork.  I can show this audibly to the customer if they ask, or I can tune a key to pitch and play an octave.  One of my employees has the tune-lab system, and he explains to me how the piano is measured, and how the machine pitch raises.  We have tuned side-by-side in many college rooms, and often watched each other.  This is the first machine which matches my ear almost to perfection.  It is so accurate that we are often less than one cent different when we reach the last octave.  The tune-lab is easy to read and see where the pitch is if you know what you are looking at.  Many people just want to be told why they need one, and will trust you based on your good work.

As for the piano life-saving system, while they work well when properly installed, I have seen them poorly installed buzzing on the soundboard, dumping massive amount of humidity into the piano soaking the felt, I have also seen them work to crack a soundboard.  they MUST be installed correctly, and with the understanding that proper maintenance is a MUST.  I almost never recommend the piano life-saver system in a home.  It is always better to regulate the humidity in the room.  The moisture king system works to do this quite well.  I even have some customers who have gone to the expense of installing a humidity system into their heat pump.  this is far better for every aspect of the home as well as the piano.  Either way, if you install the life-saver system, be sure to do a good job for the sake of the piano.

God Bless,

Mark