[pianotech] once in a while

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 3 00:29:17 PDT 2009

Almost the opposite of your experience...Schimmel Upright/Studio.   Damper lifting nearly when key is depressed...way too soon.   I tuned it but remarked about the feel of the action.   He had this piano for about 14 years.   No one mentioned to him the obvious problem with the damper lift.   The feel was you had to really get down into the keys to play it...clicking keys needed rebushing but we went with turning front pin for a temporary fix...he is just get the feel of me...I do some voicing with the tuning.   A few weeks later he wants more voicing and is beginning to think the dampers ARE a problem.   I come and regulate damper lift with the pedals and used my spoon bender to adjust damper lift with keys.   I actually had the Journal article about this regulation with the action on a bench, but started with spoon and it proceeded well....some more voicing, a little more front pin turning.   A week or so later he left a message that I was right and piano was like night and day.   Key rebushing will happen in the near future.
I agree with Wim, that is what can make your day...
David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044