[pianotech] poly repair charges

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Apr 3 04:25:03 PDT 2009

Wim,

I would offer one other consideration, depending upon your current "shop"
situation - Ruth will probably talk about this too.  Don't be bashful about
requiring some of these repairs to come to your shop.  Stick compounds,
paste compounds - they both make one mell of a hess.  Once you explain this
to your clients, they (the thoughtful ones) will see the intelligence of
sending it to you.  Of course I'm not talking about little spots, but for
anything that requires a power wheel or pad, you'll either want it (well,
maybe "want" isn't the right word ;-] ) in your shop, or you'll want to
invest in some very large painters tarps as it will get everything in the
room dusty/nasty.

There is a small pad system that Ruth sells (I think it's called Roloc) and
it is a pad system for a handheld drill - works pretty nice with pastes on
small areas - still makes a mess but is reasonably controllable.  Also, as
with so many other things we do, improvisation is helpful.  Results are what
matter, and if you have to take a diversion from standard protocols to get
there.............well, OK.  ;-]

Enjoy the process.
William R. Monroe

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:09 AM, pmc033 at earthlink.net