[pianotech] poly repair charges

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 3 00:09:36 PDT 2009

Hi, Wim:
    You have the winning attitude.  Just take it a step at a time.  You'll do fine.  I've taught a few guys how to do this, and my motto is, "Let them make some mistakes.  They'll be better for it".  Sometimes, I catch myself insisting that "my way is better".  I've often found that other people can make success with a method that didn't work for me.  If you get stuck, you can always ask for suggestions.
    Years ago I went to the L.A. headquarters of Samick Music Corp. to learn how they do polyester repair.  I spent the day there, and they showed me their methods and equipment.  Since that facility was doing that work full time, they had some very heavy duty machines.  Depending upon how much work you anticipate, you may not need so much.  Since I work at a store, and often have this repair to do, I purchased similar machines to Samick's.  Basically a hand-held straight grinder.  It is too fast, so I use a Variac transformer to lower the voltage and speed.  It is an edge buffer, so I use buffing sticks instead of paste or liquid compounds.  You can get all the hardware to convert an automotive swirl buffer to an edge buffing wheel from suppliers.  Or you can use a bonnet like is used on autos.  3M has hook-n-loop buffing pads which use liquid compounds to accomplish the same thing.  I don't like them because they throw the compound around on everything in sight.  You will probably will be doing this on sales floors and in homes, so splashing compound around the room is not cool.  Well, of course, compound dust isn't so good either.  You can get most materials from a local plastic store if you have one nearby.  Poly is nothing but plastic, so anything that works on plastic will work well on poly.
    The kit you'll get from Ruth will have everything you need to get started, but you will want to invest in a buffing machine to be able to buff a large area like a lid or table.  There's nothing like pulling out Big Bertha to power through all those scratches.  I've found that, with the right compound, I can make most scratches go away easily without too much effort.  I try to avoid sanding if I can help it.
      The real trick is evaluating the repair before you begin.  If you can catch your fingernail on the scratch, you'll have to sand it out first.  If you can't feel it, you can use a buffer to take it out.  Don't make more work for yourself by sanding something that a buffing wheel could remove, because you'll have to buff out the fine scratches left by the sandpaper anyway.
    There's a lot more I could write, but I'll let you get your feet wet first.

    If you  ever get the movie rights, I'll be first in line at the box office.  You do have good talent for writing.

    Good luck.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego