[pianotech] justify pitch raise

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 3 05:50:57 PDT 2009

I wonder how talk about humidity systems deals with my original question
of a pitch raise. This has been asked many times- please change subject
heading when changing topics.

Thanks to who offered practical, usable information regarding aural
pitch raises. I would wonder at which point in those aural
demonstrations does one adequately demonstrate pitch raising?  I'm not
looking for dissertations, nor for argument, just some understanding.
Since I normally do two passes, pitch raise often doesn't come up.  I
often don't bring up the subject (yeah, I know it costs me money), as I
tune through two times because I find accuracy much better. It makes
less money, but has gotten me into the major halls of the city and looks
marvelous on a web site. I just overpull, and if bad, I cheat the top
with a "guestimate" of how far I need to go to get moderately close.  I
have a system for horrible pitchraises, including charging for them.

The reason I asked in the first place is because of the new customer
being of the suspicious kind, and if I had to justify it with a fork,
wasn't sure I could. I'm still not sure. The piano varied from -0.6 to
-32.5.  What if I "forked" a relatively close note?  Then, when the last
tuner was a reputable tuner with decades of tunings, it gets really sticky.

I always ask in initial call about last tunings, and often brand of
piano.  Then I measure the tuning and play the C's downward. If they're
horrible I call the client in and measure those same notes in overpull
and describe for them what is going on.  On the piano yesterday, knowing
the former tuner, I just tuned, and didn't discover the really bad stuff
till I got above 440.  What I find so useful about TL is saving overpull
measurements, and thus having ability to show the relative position to
being "in tune" on each note, when I feel any documentation is needed
beyond what already has happened. On really really horrible pianos, I
have my own pattern I follow for pulling it up, and can normally bring a
50 cent PR into some very close place to 440 the first day, then nail it
solidly on the second call.

So my original question really was for those possibly "iffy" places
where a fork doesn't always tell the story with "force".  On pianos I
think are disasters, I also use a fork- but those are the nearly
half-step ones which are so obvious the client will  wince as much as I.

Thank you to those folks who provided simply understood information to
the basic question without a lot of rabbit chasing.  I've had trouble
with people running way afoul of my questions before, meaning I didn't
ask the question completely enough.  Last time I asked a question about
anyone ever refusing a very old piano, I had a dozen-to-twenty responses
which made all kinds of assumptions about the value of old pianos, how
many they worked on, etc.  instead of a yes-or-no answer.  I had never
said I don't work on older pianos in the question.  I only asked "if
ever"- as I have now decided I will not work on brass rails. Without
adequate training in such, and the frailties involved I just won't do it
for fear of more harm than good.  I have people who will do that, just
as I have agreed to be the one who will look at players, the one who did
that having retired.

So after chasing my own rabbit.............  thanks for those who gave
me very helpful information, which I had not considered, being a Tunelab
person".  And, BTW, the "save the overpull measurements" can be a
wonderful teacher for clients.
les b