[pianotech] justify pitch raise

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 10:31:04 PDT 2009

Asking how long its been since their last tuning is really not a good
question to ask - it assumes that if the piano was tuned within the past
year or so that it may not require raising pitch, and thus sets the client
up with an expectation that the cost may be lower than it will be. You can't
possibly know by asking the "when" question who tuned the piano, whether
they tuned it to pitch, whether the last tuning was the first in 20 years.
In Western Washington I almost always find pianos worse after 6 months than
a year - so it can really depend on the humidity conditions during the last
tuning.

Also, it can put the client on the defensive. Often they don't know or are
embarrassed. Not a good idea.

One other thing that does fit here is what constitutes a "serious" pitch
raise. I've been reading for years here that anything beyond 2 cents off
requires a pitch raise. If anyone is actually successfully enforcing that
protocol, then they are spoiled beyond my wildest dreams by either perfect
climate control, or customers rich and gullible enough to pay extra for
pitch adjustments twice a year. I doubt that in the 30+ years I've been
doing this, I've tuned more than a couple of pianos that were within 2
cents. In school systems, particularly, rarely less than 20 cents off (at
least in places) twice a year.

So like with everything else, there's no simple answer.
Ron N

Good point, Ron. The fact is, if I'm following my own work and it's a
regular client, even if the piano is off by 20 cents I can get through it
without an extra charge. This would be a great opportunity to talk to the
client about Dampp-chasers. We let people know that we can spend more time
servicing the whole instrument if we don't have to spend as much time tuning
and retuning the piano.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter