[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Apr 3 10:55:28 PDT 2009

>I wonder which is the most accurate.

Well, what is the definition of accuracy?

Capleton's book on tuning goes into that kind of thing on a rather philosophical level.  "Accuracy" is rather a nebulous concept. It might be better to talk of sweetness, beauty, wholeness, excitement, rather than accuracy. Even then, of course, it doesn't come down to one or the other. There are aural tuners who tune wonderfully and those who tune less than wonderfully, and ditto for users of ETDs.

As Ron said a while ago in another discussion, "No tuning is ever really finished, just left behind". I like that!

There is also my own metaphor for tuning which I rather like (he noted modestly, eyes fetchingly downcast and shuffling feet) "Part arithmetic and part flower-arranging".

Best regards,

David.