[pianotech] justify pitch raise

Norm Barrett barr8345 at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 3 20:01:50 PDT 2009

I asked Dr Sanderson how far off a piano needed to be to need a pitch
raise and he said 8 cents. Also when new I was taught that this was
caused by the strings pressing down on the soundboard. This theory does
not make sense for the pianos that have no downbearing. I believe that
the plate flexing is the largest factor and the combination of these 2
factors means that each piano is a little different and some are easier
that others.
Norm Barrett