[pianotech] justify pitch raise

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 17:44:38 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:56 AM, <reggaepass at aol.com> wrote:

> Ryan,
>  Really, 20 cents, and you can get clean, stable unisons at pitch in one
> pass?  I am not able to do that.  In fact, I had been routinely
> pitch-raising home pianos that were substantially more than 4 cents off
> until I read in the PTG published pamphlet that the "standard" for when a
> pitch raise was needed was 8 cents.  I tried that a couple of times, with
> unsatisfactory results.  So I'm back to around 4 cents for home use and 2
> cents for critical situations (concerts and recordings).  How do you do it?
>
>  Alan Eder
>
> even if the piano is off by 20 cents I can get through it without an extra
> charge
>

> Hi Alan,
In answer to your skepticism: I don't. I almost always do 2 passes. My point
was that if I'm following my own work then I can get through a pitch raise
and tuning more quickly than if it's a piano I haven't seen before, and the
tuning has descended more deeply into chaos. ** I may not have much time to
do anything else with the piano, but if I can perform the service within an
hour and a half I will wave the extra charge. This is assuming of course
that there are not other issues that I feel compelled to address.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter