[pianotech] Looking for ideas

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 4 07:08:33 PDT 2009

For both own records,  or especially if you wind up in court, I would
consider hiring (a friend tech might do it for nothing, I would) a 2nd
opinion on the pianos outcome from an outside tech.  It would be to your
benefit as well as hers.  Let them look at the piano, give their advice to
you, listen to her complaints, then discuss it privately of course in case
their opinion of the outcome doesn't happen to match yours and if it does,
let them possibly to her publicly afterward.

I did this once after I pin doped an old Emmerson grand that had terrible
loose tuning pins.  I used Garfields.  After 2 weeks, it was almost worse
but, not quite than before I started.  She threatened to sue ME.  So, I
hired at that time one of the most respectable RPT's in (couldn't hire my
own dad you know) town Dale Newhouse to come look at it.  He told her that I
followed procedure exactly as was required, there was nothing out of the
ordinary and occasionally, things like this happen and that in time, the
pins should tighten up more yet which they did.  That saved the time in
court and satisfied her because he said he would side with me.  I offered
for her to call in anyone of her choosing too but, she refused and I refused
to return after that too.  Wasn't' taking anymore chances with that nut
case.

Next time, cash the check the same day.  Then it's to late.