[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Apr 4 07:52:42 PDT 2009

Heee, heee,

Boy I hope you guys are zipped up.

David, "don't shoot the messenger"?  Your not the messenger, you're the
originator of the opinion and as such, should be shot if that's what is
called for.  ;-]

Note the smiley face, please.  Intended to be a funny quip, not suggesting
you be shot.

I have no trouble discerning between 440 and 441.  I'm sure most don't.  I'm
guessing you're suggesting more along the lines of 440 and 440.1hz which is
difficult to hear when comparing but not impossible.  When listening to one
string at a time, another story.

Guys, get this:  Tuning is listening.  Period.  If you can't listen, you
have no way of knowing whether your results are acceptable or not.  Those
who lack the ability or skills to hear well enough to tune, shouldn't,
unless they are actively developing those skills.  Saying someone who can't
hear to tune shouldn't be [deterred] from being a tuner is like saying
someone who is blind shouldn't be deterred from racing cars.  You need to
see to drive a race car, you need to hear to tune pianos.  Listening is the
foremost skill necessary to be a tuner.  Now, if you want to be a rebuilder
and can't hear to tune, there's nothing that says you cant be the best
rebuilder in the world.  Different skill set.

Your ideas on art are somewhat different than mine, BTW.  I've never thought
of art as perfect.  Rather, it is either pleasing to me or not.  What
pleases me tends to be very different than what pleases others to greater or
lesser degrees.  Similarly, no tuning is perfect.  We all consciously make
choices as to where we want our pianos.  You stretch more, I stretch less.
Not perfect.  Different.  And artistic.  ;-]

William R. Monroe