[pianotech] aural vs edt

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 4 08:50:14 PDT 2009

Nice post Dave.  I agree completely.

While I used to be strictly an aural tuner and a stubborn one at that,
thinking aural was the "only way," I purchased Cyber Tuner only after it
finally did what I thought it should do.  I use it in conjunction with my
ears always checking the tuning afterward to make sure things are where they
should be.

I too, have saved my best concert tunings onto it.  When I need to tune for
a 2 concert duet which I do often, it comes in very handy as I can put the
exact same tunings onto both pianos which usually saves me about an hours
worth of time.

You are 100% correct when you say, we MUST be able to distinguish what is
correct from what is not correct.  We can only do this aurally.  No machine
is perfect.  No ear is perfect either.  While some are better than others, I
can say from first hand experience in talking to Dean Reyburn that Dean
tells people (he told me anyway) that the machine is not meant to be
substitute as a replacement for our human ear.  It is an aide to it.  We
must still be able to use our ears to tell us what, if anything in the
tuning is not correct and we must be able to correct it and not be afraid to
disagree with what the machine produces.

A friend of mine uses Tunelab.  He likes to say, when my ear doesn't agree
with the outcome, guess who always wins?  ME! I like to win!  As he smiles.

Jer