[pianotech] aural vs edt

David Renaud drjazzca at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 4 08:34:41 PDT 2009

   I am an active CTE and perhaps can add some thoughts to muse over.
Point form so you can pick what you want to respond to.

1) EDTs are fantastic tools. As an aural tuner for 20 years integrating
EDT use has made me a better tuner. The ability to analyze my unisons
and stability has tightened up my unisions and improved stability. The
ability to analyze what I do aurally has given definition, clarity,
and consistency to choices of stretch. The ability to save my best aural tunings on concert instruments has been an aid worth a fortune this last
month with bronchitis, on 6am tunings, and on long long days. From an
Aural tuning advocate let be first be very clear on this; the EDTs
we have today are fantastic tools, I approve of their use, they are here
to stay, aural tuners can learn much from EDT analysis.

2) EDT only tuners can also learn much from aural analysis. Any smooth
  tuning stretch curve generated from samples as taken by cybertuner, tunelab and such does not account for each and every string scaling change and accompanying inharmonicity jump. As small as these jumps may be they remain significant. When staring from a quality machine tuning and subjecting the tuning to careful aural tests for smooth progressions of
intervals the machine tuning even on a nice piano like a Yamaha C7 will
move away from the generated curve significantly and jump back with each
string size change. Fine concert tuning requires smoothing out interval progressions this way. Verituner and perhaps others will listen to individual note inharmonisity and generate compensation for same. When asked if we can use Verituner to generate a master tuning I am told it
still takes a few passes to gather enough information for this. The ear
I think must remain the boss, as good as EDTs become careful aural listening will be the judge by the finest musicians and tuners.

3) If we will not preserve this aural tradition who will?

4) I need subs for my 4 regular concert venues from time to time....
   I can not hire an EDT only tuner. What will they  do if it crashes? What will they do if your battery dies? What will they do
 if they run over your kit with your car and kill the EDT(happened to one tech I know) Tell the artist sorry, no tuning on stage today for the show.
 I can not take this risk with my major clients when I send in a sub. Therefore, you want to grow a business to include concert tuning, the top musicians, and all the related references, Its less likely
to happen in this city without aural skills.

5) To many times I hear EDT only tuners who brag about "perfect" tunings,
"the same every time" that do not listen and trust the machine get followed up with complaints. I subcontracted to one for a time and had to quite because of complaints. No listening was taking place and the some of the follow ups were scary tunings.

6) My personnel conclusion is integration is way of the future and is best.  Aural tuners can learn from EDTs, EDT tuners can learn from Aural
   testing skills. Lets learn the best of both worlds and raise standards
  all round.

                                           2 cents worth for now
                                           Cheers
                                           Dave Renaud