[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 11:32:45 PDT 2009

I don't have any problem whatsoever with competent tuners using ETDs. What
raises my eyebrows  is so called "professional" piano technicians who can't
tune two octaves in the middle of the piano to save their life. To me, basic
aural skills is part of the basic requirements of being a competent
technician. That's why its required for the tuning exam.

I think the biggest misunderstanding that lay people have about piano tuning
is that the listening part is what takes special talent or skill, and that
turning the tuning pins is the easy part. I explain to clients when they ask
me about tuning that the listening part (once you learn it) is actually is
the EASY part, the real skill is manipulating the pins and strings.

So since developing aural tuning skills is much easier IMHO than learning
good tuning hammer technique, why are techs so resistant? I've never met a
technician who regrets learning aural skills or felt like it wasn't worth
the trouble.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter