[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD (test procedure)

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sat Apr 4 12:15:06 PDT 2009

Jhj:

When using an ETD you do check the notes already tuned by playing octaves or 12ths or whatever your favorite aural check.  I think there's really not that much difference in your procedure, just the added check.  If you are tuning C6 and suspect that C5 has slipped, aurally-only you have to do more checking to verify C5.  With the ETD checking anything that has slipped is just somewhat simpler.  When tuning in the temperament area, I check the progression of 3rds etc. just as I did without the ETD, I just don't have to make as many value judgments.  Just get one and try it, it's not really as complicated as it sometimes sounds.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu