[pianotech] Aural vs. ETD (test procedure)

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 4 12:36:40 PDT 2009

It's not that difficult to learn how to use one. If you ask a bijillon
questions like I did!  :-)))  I've only had mine 3 years or so.

I will go up and down one note at a time to double check unisons. I go up
and down in octaves to check these and depending on the quality of the
piano, will check in 10's and double 10's whatever those are called and make
sure everything is smooth, even and progress evenly one way or the other.

Once you get your EDT set for your own preference, it's much easier on you.
For example, I have my concert tunings saved onto my EDT.  That is, saved,
after I had tweaked them first by ear...  I can then put that exact same
tuning back (we only tune one string using an EDT By the way, the unisons
are tuned by ear) on that piano again.  Occasionally, I may have to tweak a
tuning here and there after that but, most of the time, not all that much.

Jer