[pianotech] justify pitch raise

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sat Apr 4 12:56:57 PDT 2009

A440A at aol.com wrote:
> Somebody wrote,( I couldn't tell from all the stuff mixed into the post),
> <<
>
> Whether it is a pitch correction or not, I average a little under 2
>
> hours. I also consider every tuning a pitch correction because about
>
> 90% of my customers are first timers who hardy ever get their piano
>
> tuned, >>
>
>     If 90 % of a tuner's clientele are first-timers, does that mean that the
> tech only has 10% return customers?  Something must be amiss.    This is about
> backwards from where I am, as 95% of my business is repeat business.  Seems
> that relying on new customers to such an extent would require a large
> advertising budget.
> regards,
> Ed Foote RPT
> http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html
> www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html
Yes and No for advertising budget. The problem is, there are about 15
other technicians, basically, servicing the same area - who have a
regular repeat client list. Mine are mostly first-timers because they
never had there piano(s) serviced and/or the original tech passed on or
moved away or moved into the area.

One tech, that happens to be my mentor, is a jack-of-all-trades meaning
he can do it all, primarily for churches. He can services the old
electronic component organs, pianos - and - keyboards. At one time, he
had abut 3,000 clients, most of them were churches.

Which is way on other threads, I mentioned persons expanding into these
areas.

So, with these odds it's hard to break into the business.

Duaine