[pianotech] ETD suggestions

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 4 21:38:12 PDT 2009

I also prefer the SAT.  The LED array is easy to see in almost any light, and gives an instant indication of sharpness or flatness.  I secretly wish the other options would incorporate that LED display.  You don't need to "upgrade", and spend a bunch of money every so often, as you do with software based ETD's.  Rugged isn't the word.  SAT is BULLETPROOF.  I have the same SAT 1 that I got 22 years ago.  I had it refurbished a few years ago with new battery and membrane switches.  It works and looks like new.  I've dropped it more times than I can count.  Weeks of battery life between recharging.  The new SAT IV is even more customizable than before because it is more software-based, and can be user-upgraded via the internet.  I am not knocking any ot the other fabulous PPC or Smartphone software program options.  It's jus that I am used to the LED's and I prefer it over the others.
I know a very reputable tech who uses a Peterson digital strobe tuner, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are an experienced aural tuner.  It isn't in the same league with the rest of the all-digital units.
If I were to make a recommendation, I'd say go to Grand Rapids this summer and try as many as you can get your hands on.  If you like a software program rather than a hardwired unit, go for it.  There are pros and cons either way.

Paul McCloud
San Diego