[pianotech] Strange Keys Continued

Mike Morvan keymaestro at verizon.net
Sun Apr 5 08:49:50 PDT 2009

    The molded keys were made by the former Pratt & Read Company of Connecticut. They made most of the keysets for this country prior to everything going overseas or further south. When I got my equipment and training from Frank Stopa, he gave me a box of those molded plastic keys and told me that they were a failed attempt at further reducing the cost of manufacturing keyboards.
    Among the other not so obvious "cost cutting" efforts he spoke of were:
1. switching keystick material from sugarpine to basswood
2. changing capstans to brass plated steel instead of solid brass, (WWII) may have had something to do with that
3. changing keypins to plated steel instead of plated solid brass, (WWII) may have had something to do with that as well
4. changing from protein glues to PVA'S for assembly & bushings
5. eliminating balance hole inserts & shoes
6. reducing the overall height of keys
The list goes on & on.

BLACKSTONE VALLEY PIANO
Michael A. Morvan