[pianotech] aural vs edt

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 12:23:12 PDT 2009

Sun, 5 Apr 2009 13:37:48 -0500 "Porritt, David" <dporritt at mail.smu.edu>
wrote:
> Israel:
>
> If Dr. Sanderson considered the Accutuner as an Electronic Tuning Aid I'm curious as to why he promoted the idea of starting at A0 and working up.  Clearly there's no way to do any interval checks in the bass this way as there are no "tuned" notes above them to use as checks.

I don't remember precisely - it has been many years since I have been at
one of his demonstrations, and I do not wish to be in the position of
being able to ask him any time soon. ;-) But I believe that he
recommended tuning from A0 up on the first pass. After that he refined
aurally, in whatever order/sequence made sense. Maybe someone who
remembers a demonstration of his could enlighten us.

I did spend many hours during my years in Boston at his shop in Lowell
and then later in Chelmsford, since my first Accutuner (#574) was a
lemon - and I was always running to his place to get it debugged. After
3 years of this they finally found the bad relay or transistor or
thingamabob... Al felt bad about it, and found it necessary to entertain
me with conversation while Paul worked on the box. So I got an earful
about how he felt about things...Including how important aural tuning
is, and how great an aid the box is to aural tuning. He was even talking
about toughening the aural requirements on the RPT exam, once
significantly more than 50% of examinees start passing it...

Israel Stein