[pianotech] aural vs edt

phil at emvkeys.ca phil at emvkeys.ca
Mon Apr 6 04:42:01 PDT 2009

Regarding possible failure, a back-up device was one of my first
concerns when choosing to employ my retired Pocket PC as a dedicated
ETD, so I bought 2 extra of my model on eBay for about $70 each. that's
less than even one extra quality hammer - I use TuneLab so I put the
demo version on the backup as a just-in-case.

To date, I haven't needed to use the backup unit. There's a lot of
affordable Pocket PC options on eBay - I carry extra charged-up
batteries acquired via eBay. So far I've needed to change batteries on a
couple of occasions, but I typically get 3 tunings per charge. Checking
my Pocket PCs and keeping the batteries charged is part of my weekly
routine.

I personally know of 2 people who, trusting their SATIII battery
longevity, got stuck with a dead battery, having left their power
supplies at home

Whatever ETD or tuning method is employed, I believe that having a plan
in the event of tool failure is an important part of any professional
business strategy.

Obviously, maintaining refined aural-only skills is the best strategy in
the event of ETD failure

Phil

William Monroe wrote:
> True Ron,
>
> But to be honest, most if not all of us have a back-up lever/tip/etc.
>
> How many ETD users have more than one device?  I'd guess few.  I agree
> there are solutions for ETD users (myself included - I only have one)
> but for most folks, if the unit fails, they have no back-up, unless
> they are competent aurally as well.

  /Artist Piano Care/
E X C E L L E N C E ~ F I N E LY  T U N E D

web: www.artistpianocare.ca
    tel: 416-907-3562
    cel: 905-626-3727
   phil at artistpianocare.ca