[pianotech] Drilling a Pin Block.

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Apr 6 08:19:32 PDT 2009

Hi Emerson and Welcome to the list!

Some grands have a "floating" block.  My first rebuild was a 1919
Chickering quarter grand and it had a "floating block".  I don't recommend
to anyone to tackle a Chickering as their first major project!  That was
fustrating to say the least!  I don't know about McPhail's, but somebody
on the list sure will.  There's also a lot of block-drillers that will
know a good bit speed.  My shop is limited, so I always outsource
pinblocks and soundboards and refinishing.

Good luck!

Paul

Emerson Torrey <Emerson at diprete-eng.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
04/06/2009 10:14 AM
Please respond to
pianotech at ptg.org

"pianotech at ptg.org" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[pianotech] Drilling a Pin Block.

I must start by saying I am new to this list as well as new to rebuilding
piano’s so please excuse my ignorance.
I am rebuilding a 5 ft. McPhail grand and have a couple of questions
regarding pin block drilling and installation.
The new pin block material is DELIGNIT PIN BLOCK material and seems to me
to be the hardest wood known to man.
I am curious if anyone out there has a particular speed setting for the
drill press and how different speeds affect the size of the hole.
Currently I am using #2 pins and a .266 drill. Another question would be
do I need to glue the block in? I don’t believe it was glued previously.
Thanks
Emerson Torrey