[pianotech] Drilling a Pin Block.

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 6 08:42:17 PDT 2009

Emerson,

Yes, the drill speed will affect the size of the holes. Also, the bit needs to be kept cool otherwise the holes will get bigger and bigger as it heats up. For speed, you'll have to test in a piece of scrap pinblock. Check for the chip that come out while drilling. There is speed of the bit but also the feed has to be stable.

So my best advice would be to take your time, and be on the lookout to prevent overheating the bit. The safest way would be to drill twice. At first with .250 bit and then with your .266. But test before (.266 could be a little tight from my experience). You sure don't want to end up with a piano that is a dog to tune.

Marcel Carey