[pianotech] Re-Attach leg on Chickering Grand

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Apr 6 08:57:37 PDT 2009

Marks Piano Service wrote:
> I have a 96 year old Chickering Grand that I must "Re-attach" the treble
> end leg on.
> The owner said that the piano leg came off several months ago and is
> just "sitting" in position at this time.
> Upon inspection I noticed there are no visible screws on the understand
> of the leg. Are these screws attached from the inside? Is there doweling
> used?
> Can someone tell me the best/quickest fix for this problem?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Mark D. Montbriand

It probably has a wooden cam/leg plate arrangement. if the leg plates
are fully and firmly engaged/interlocked, the piano can stay in position
for years. Once you try to move it, however...

Check for empty cam pivot screw holes, or just the cam out of position.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076