[pianotech] follow up, tuning in a down economy

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Mon Apr 6 11:43:49 PDT 2009

There were?quite a few?of you?who?opposed to idea of offering discounts, citing that business will come to us, regardless.?If I had been in business for 5 years or more, I would?have agreed with you, and in fact, in all my 22 years in St. Louis, I never offered?my services for less than my "normal" fee.

But I am in the process of building a business, and therefore had to resort?to different methods of increasing my income. While offering 30% discount on my tuning fee might seem like a lot,?that wasn't the only income I was after. When I've offered a lower price in the past, there?was always addition income generated from the sale.

Which is exactly what happened this time.?On March 1st?sent out over 500 post card?to known piano owners offering a 30% discount off my normal fee of $115.?A month later, my records show that I got?20 appointments, with a total income of over $2600, an average of over $130 per call. Income that I would probably?not have had, were it not for the sale.?Would there have been as many appointments had I offered a 10% or 20% discount? Who knows. Did I get as much of? a response as?I wanted? No, the 20 appointments were not as many as I had wanted, but?the additional income was certainly appreciated. ??

Wim