[pianotech] Old upright

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Apr 7 04:18:05 PDT 2009

On 4/6/09, Matthew Todd <toddpianoworks at att.net> wrote:
> This is a case of me wanting to tell the client to burn the piano and look
> for something better, BUT, it has a lot of sentimental value.  And there is
> really no way of telling 100% if the pinblock is cracked, unless I destring
> and remove the plate, is that right?

I suppose there isn't a "100%" test of a pinblock split shy of doing
an autopsy, but a non-destructive test which I would guess is about
99.44% would be the old chalk-the-tops-of-the-loose-pins test.  If
several line up in a row, that's where there is a split.

I once did test on a fireplace bound PSO by putting an oversize pin
towards the end of the suspected split. Four more pins got loose.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT
Luther College