[pianotech] Old upright

Marks Piano Service markspiano at att.net
Tue Apr 7 05:11:54 PDT 2009

In my experience, "Every" piano I work on "Needs Something",
How/What  you choose to consider something that needs urgent attention may be the difference between keeping a client happy and this being a one time service call and a very good chance that your name will not spread in a good way.
The best bet in my opinion is to always be 100% honest,. Should you run into something like this, give the customer your best guess and opinion on what service you need to perform to assist the piano to perform to it's best ability.
I'm sure that the majority of people do realize what they have.
I would use the sandpaper trick. And let the client know this repair could last years or it could last hours. Make the client fully aware of this "BEFORE" doing the work.

Now the ball is in their court.
Give them enough info to make a decision for themselves.....

Best of luck to you, Matt !

Mark D. Montbriand

Marks Piano Service
10576 Webster Rd.